We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
- Pasta types
A delicious pasta dish, which is simple to make and tastes fantastic. Enjoy with a side salad, if desired.
96 people made this
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese or as needed
- 450g penne pasta
- 450g thick rashers streaky bacon, cut into 1.25cm pieces
- 50g butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 5 tablespoons plain flour
- 950ml milk
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 400g grated mature Cheddar cheese, divided
MethodPrep:30min ›Cook:1hr10min ›Ready in:1hr40min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease a 23x33cm or similar sized baking dish and sprinkle 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese around the inside of the dish.
- Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil. Once the water is boiling, stir in the penne and return to the boil. Cook the penne uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta has cooked through, but is still firm to the bite, about 11 minutes. Drain well in a colander set in the sink.
- Place the bacon pieces into a large, deep frying pan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain the bacon on a kitchen towel-lined plate. Retain 4 tablespoons of bacon drippings. Set the bacon pieces aside.
- Melt butter and bacon drippings together in a large saucepan over medium heat and cook and stir the onion until translucent, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the flour, stirring frequently until the mixture forms a smooth paste. Whisk in the milk, a little at a time and bring the mixture to a simmer, whisking constantly until thickened. Stir in the thyme, salt and pepper, then whisk in 4 tablespoons Parmesan and 350g Cheddar cheese, stirring constantly until the Cheddar cheese has melted and the sauce is smooth and thick.
- Stir the cooked penne pasta into the cheese sauce, then lightly mix in the cooked bacon. Spread the mixture into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle remaining Cheddar cheese over the top. Cover the dish with foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the pasta is hot and bubbling, about 25 minutes. Remove the dish from the oven and turn on the grill. Remove the foil and grill the dish until the cheese topping is browned and crisp, about 5 minutes.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(21)
Reviews in English (14)
Very nice,and my boyfriend liked it too,we had bacon and cheese left in the fridge and wasn't quite sure what to do with it so this was great😀-13 Jul 2016
yum! My little boy loved this! We did some chicken and salad on the side-22 Jan 2014
by Pam Ziegler Lutz
This is a definite keeper! Although I served this as a side dish with chicken, it would easily stand alone as a main course. I halved the recipe and baked in an 8x8 casserole dish.-16 Oct 2011